Friday 1 August 2014

What do employees want out of their workplaces? What makes a good employer? Linda Jackson talked to people of all ages to find out



Alex Johns (22), law graduate, works in a department store in Canterbury, Kent
My experience of employers so far is limited, but I think it is important to have honesty in an employer, so you don't hear things via the grapevine, and a good support network. I am not thinking about pensions at the moment as I have a £21,000 student loan to pay. I want to get on the Metropolitan Police's high-potential development scheme – so career development is very important to me.
Rebecca Goody (22), geography graduate works as a waitress and swimming teacher in Cornwall
This summer I am going to Camp America to teach swimming for three months, and then I plan to travel. I hope to start teaching next September; beginning by working as a volunteer teaching assistant. Hopefully a school will take me on and offer me on the job training. Whatever job I do – whether it is waitressing or teaching – I always want to get to the next level.
Leroy Foster-Smith (33), manager of LoveFit cafe, Brighton, East Sussex
I've always worked in the hospitality industry – and I have been with my current employer for six years. The hours are good, and our employer keeps us going even when it's quiet. I put some money aside for a pension but one of the best things about the job is the flexibility. My employer helps in any way he can – and we have a good calendar system so it's never a problem if someone wants a day off.
Riana Nel (45), IT manager at London law firm Wedlake Bell
Flexible working for me is very important. I probably spend half my time in the office and half working from home. I can get more done and it also allows me to drop off or pick up my eight-year-old son. I am very driven so investment in training and learning is important. Wedlake Bell is on top of that and also good on health and wellbeing. Ten years ago, health insurance and pensions weren't important, but they are things I appreciate now. I also have corporate gym membership.
Find related articles in MSE Meeting Rooms Central London http://www.msemeetingrooms.co.uk 
Andrew Manson (48), founder of TalkingJobs.net, Lewes, East Sussex
Flexible working is key: also a clarity of vision and a collaborative approach so that employees feel they are being enabled and participating so they can do their best. This is what I try and do in my business. Someone once said – companies need to deliver what they say when they say they will. As an employee, you should be able to say the same thing to your boss.
Adele Stanbridge (49), social work undergraduate at Cornwall College, former jewellery designer and retailer
As a newly qualified social worker, it is important I get good supervision. That will be at the right top of my list along with basic salary and a lease car. Flexible working is not so important any more as I don't have young children. If they are ill, they can manage by themselves. My pension will be my shop – it is too late to set up alternative provision.
Visit our website for meeting rooms training rooms and conference rooms MSE Meeting Rooms http://www.msemeetingrooms.co.uk
Kim Upton (50), Facilities manager at Buddhist lay organisation SGI-UK, Taplow, Berkshire
I'm not worried about salary as long as a job pays for a roof over my head and I believe in the organisation I work for and its ethical values. I think I've got the best job in the world. All the people I work with are friends and share the same core Buddhist beliefs. We work as a team.
Richard Weakley (62), managing director of 40 Plus recruitment agency, Bicester, Oxfordshire
What is important to me is a steady income. I was made redundant just over four years ago from my job as account director for a software house developing computer systems. I was on a six-figure sum working in the City and would have taken a job £30,000 a year – but I couldn't even get an interview.
I gave myself eight weeks and then decided to buy this employment agency. I want to carry on working as my wife is still working. I will review the situation again at 65.
To read more visit out blog http://msemeetingrooms.blogspot.co.uk 
Wendy Carter (63), PA to sustainable energy environmentalist who lives in Shepshed, Leicestershire
I want to work as long as possible, well into my 70s if I can, as I enjoy the company and stimulation. I was eligible for my state pension when I was 60 but I have a fantastic boss, who I have worked for the last 22 years. I have just reduced my hours from four days a week to 16 hours spread across three or four days as my mother is coming to live with me and needs care.

No comments:

Post a Comment